Bofinger Timeline

 
1864
Alsatian Frédéric Bofinger opens an eponymous brasserie in Paris at 5 Petite Rue Saint-Antoine (renamed Rue de la Bastille in 1877).
1906
Bofinger's son-in-law, Alfred Bruneau, takes over the business. He forms a partnership with Louis Barraud, the maitre d’hôtel.
1919
After acquiring the apartment building and shops at 3 Rue de la Bastille, the brasserie expands with the first room occupying a former dairy shop and the second one a bakery. The Coupole room took the place of a coal warehouse.
1919-1924
Edouard Herriot, chairman of the Radical Party, makes Bofinger his headquarters. He holds numerous meetings there and plans the creation of the Cartel des Gauches (left-wing coalition).
1930
The owners buy the property at 7 Rue de la Bastille. The brasserie now covers more than 1,200 sq.m. Painter Hansi creates the typically Alsatian outdoor sign on the wrought iron work by Dalbet.
1931
The Colonial Exhibition brings an influx of visitors arriving at the nearby Vincennes train station. Bofinger serves 2,000 meals per day.
June 1940
As all displays of patriotism are banned by the Nazi occupiers, the "Vive la France" (Long Live France) inscription on Charles Spindler's "Village Wedding" painting is replaced by "Vive le Vin" (Long Live Wine).
August 1944
Paris is liberated after 1,533 days of occupation and the "Vive la France" inscription is restored.
1955
Louis Barraud's son-in-law, Raymond Ménin, takes the reins. Bofinger fades from the public eye.
1968
Eric de Rothschild and Basque native Isidore Urtizverea become the new owners of the brasserie. Under their guidance, Bofinger once again attracts Parisian luminaries from politics and the arts.
10 may 1981
Socialist candidate François Mitterrand and his entourage reserve the first floor to celebrate Mitterrand's victory in the presidential elections.
1982
A trio of businessmen take over the brasserie: Georges Alexandre, Michel Vidalenc and Jean-Claude Vigier.
13 march 1989
Bofinger is added to the Supplemental Registry of Historic Monuments. The decree protects the facades on the first two floors, Hansi's exterior sign and the interior décor.
1996
The brasserie becomes part of Groupe Flo.